- processor pro‧ces‧sor [ˈprəʊsesə ǁ ˈprɑːsesər] noun [countable]1. COMPUTING the central part of a computer that does the calculations on the information put into it:
• an Intel Pentium III processor
• systems that need a big expensive central processor to work— see also central processing unit, word processor2. a company that prepares substances, especially food, for sale or as part of another product:
• Georgia officials blocked sales by an Atlanta milk processor after detecting contamination in its milk.
* * *processor UK US /ˈprəʊsesər/ US /ˈprɑːsesər/ noun [C]► IT the part of a computer that controls all the other parts: »
To maximize performance, users will require a 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM.► PRODUCTION a company that prepares farm products for sale, especially as food for people: »
The nation's largest processor of meat and poultry has said it will stop using gas technology to keep products looking fresh.»
The corn and soybean processor said it agreed to plead guilty to price-fixing charges and pay $100 million in fines.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Processor — may refer to:* Central processing unit (CPU), the part of a computer that interprets instructions * Microprocessor, a CPU on one chip as part of a microcomputer * Graphics processing unit (GPU / VPU), a dedicated graphics rendering device for a… … Wikipedia
processor — 1909, agent noun in Latin form from PROCESS (Cf. process). Data processor is 1958; word processor is c.1974; food processor is 1977 … Etymology dictionary
processor — ► NOUN 1) a machine that processes something. 2) Computing a central processing unit … English terms dictionary
processor — or processer [prä′ses΄ər, prä′səsər] n. 1. a person or thing that processes 2. CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT … English World dictionary
processor */*/ — UK [ˈprəʊˌsesə(r)] / US [ˈprɑˌsesər] noun [countable] Word forms processor : singular processor plural processors 1) computing the part of a computer that controls and performs all its operations 2) a) a food processor b) any machine that… … English dictionary
processor — noun Date: 1909 1. one that processes < scrap processor > < agricultural processor > 2. a. (1) computer (2) cpu b. a computer program (as a compiler) that puts another program into a form acceptable to the computer … New Collegiate Dictionary
processor — [[t]pro͟ʊsesə(r), AM prɑ͟ːs [/t]] processors 1) N COUNT A processor is the part of a computer that interprets commands and performs the processes the user has requested. → See also word processor Syn: CPU 2) N COUNT A processor is someone or… … English dictionary
Processor — I Processor [englisch, prəʊsesə(r)], Prozessor. II Processor [engl.], Prozessor … Universal-Lexikon
processor — noun Processor is used before these nouns: ↑architecture, ↑speed Processor is used after these nouns: ↑food, ↑image … Collocations dictionary
processor — n. a food; word processor * * * [ prəʊsesə] word processor a food … Combinatory dictionary